As far as crisis communications go during a time like this, there are a few essentials to remember:
- Always rely on credible sources. Whether looking for or providing information, be sure you have information that makes you more trusted.
- Be honest. It’s okay to be vulnerable in this time; people will understand. Honesty will help keep rumors to a minimum and build a sense of sympathy with and from your audience.
- Make recommendations that matter. People need reassurance and they need to be kept from more harm. Reliable information and meaningful action can help them from doing more damage.
- Use experts to share information. The last thing people need is an amateur mouthing off like they know everything. Let the adults in the room do their thing.
- Consistency of messaging. If multiple spokespeople are saying different things, it’s going to hurt your plan. Keep the messaging simple and consistent.
Thank you, Scott Monty