As a child, I devoured reading material. My mom toted me to the library at least twice a week for the quota of age-appropriate books. I excelled at reading speed and comprehension. Between books, I would read the daily newspaper while I ate breakfast.
I read. A lot.
But that happy habit faded as I aged. Late this year (October, if we are being honest), I decided I wanted to get back into purposeful reading. My business partner and I agreed to read each day and followed a reading schedule that would allow for 2 books per month. Up from 0 per month, so, we’re off to a good start!
Leaders are readers
Author and syndicated radio host Dave Ramsey, who reads at least one book a week says, “Leaders are readers.” He gives 5 of his favorite books to every new team member as part of the onboarding process. “It’s in my DNA to always want to grow as a leader. We want our team to always be learning and growing, too,” he says.
Fast Company reports that successful CEOs read upwards of 60 books per year. Entrepreneurs like Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Daymond John, Mark Zuckerberg, and many others credit extensive reading to their success. While you and I may not be at that level of economic leadership, there was a day those names were relatively unknown, as well.
88% of financially successful people read at least 30 mins per day
In his book, Change Your Habits, Change Your Life, Tom Corley interviewed a host of self-made millionaires about their daily habits. A massive 88% of his wealthy respondents reported that they spent at least 30 minutes every day on reading and self-education.
With that in mind, I set out to read more in 2017. Here is a list of the books I have read (or am currently reading):
- Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less – Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
- Crucial Conversations – Patterson, Grenny, McMillan, Switzler
- Negotiating Your Salary: How to Make $1000 a Minute – M.A. Jack Chapman
- Do The Work: Overcome Resistance and Get Out of Your Own Way – Steven Pressfield
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose – Tony Hsieh
- 48 Days to the Work You Love: Preparing for the New Normal
- Steal the Show: From Speeches to Job Interviews to Deal-Closing Pitches, How to Guarantee a Standing Ovation for All the Performances in Your Life
- Lead With A Story – Paul Smith
- Your Best Year Ever – Michael Hyatt
I expect 2018 to be at least 3 times as rich. What are you reading? Leave a comment below.