They say a picture is worth a thousand words — and with our diminishing attention span, using visuals in our marketing is becoming even more important.
And I think we can all agree that traditional stock photos are pretty bad…
I mean, really?
That said, where do you find the best images for your blog?
First, it is important to note that, while it may be easy (and tempting) to just use Google Images, those images are owned by someone, not Google. So simply finding them does not entitle anyone to use them.
You must look for images where the owner has given express permission for those photos to be used for personal or commercial purposes. This is the license they are extending to you for the use of their property.
There is a big difference between free, royalty-free, rights-managed, copyright and even specific uses for personal or commercial. Make sure you don’t get bound up in legal trouble for using images you do not have license to use.
(Stock Photo Licenses has a great article on how various stock photo licenses work.)
Free Stock Images For Your Content
In no particular order, here are 36 places to find free stock images for your blog:
- CompFight http://compfight.com/
- Startup Stock Photos http://startupstockphotos.com/
- Life of Pix http://www.lifeofpix.com/
- Pexels http://www.pexels.com/
- Little Visuals http://littlevisuals.co/
- Unsplash http://unsplash.com/
- Death to the Stock Photo http://join.deathtothestockphoto.com/
- New Old Stock http://nos.twnsnd.co/
- Superfamous (requires attribution) http://superfamous.com/
- Scatter Jar (food images) http://www.scatterjar.com
- Picjumbo http://picjumbo.com/
- The Pattern Library http://thepatternlibrary.com/
- Gratisography http://www.gratisography.com/
- Getrefe http://getrefe.tumblr.com/
- IM Free (requires attribution) http://imcreator.com/free
- Jay Mantri http://jaymantri.com/
- Public Domain Archive http://publicdomainarchive.com/
- Magdeleine http://magdeleine.co/
- Foodiesfeed http://foodiesfeed.com
- Picography http://picography.co/
- Raumrot http://www.raumrot.com/10/
- ISO Republic http://isorepublic.com/
- Dreamstime http://www.dreamstime.com/free-images_pg1
- Free Digital Photos http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/
- Free Images http://www.freeimages.com/
- Free Range Stock http://freerangestock.com/
- Free Photos Bank http://freephotosbank.com/
- Image Free http://www.imagefree.com/
- IM Free http://www.imcreator.com/free
- Morguefile http://morguefile.com/
- Pixabay http://pixabay.com/
- Public Domain Pictures http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/
- Stockvault http://www.stockvault.net/
- RGB Stock http://www.rgbstock.com/about
- Free Media Goo http://www.freemediagoo.com/
- HubSpot http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/75-free-stock-photos-im-ht
Other Helpful Image Resources
It is always nice (and sometimes required) to give attribution (that is, credit) to the source or owner of the photo. They are, after all, providing their work to you for free. A shoutout and link to help their business is the least you can do.
For example, the photo used at the top of this post is from my friends at Death To Stock.
What do you think? Did I miss any free stock image resource? Leave a link or comment below.